A delegation of SIO South Maharashtra members met with Maharashtra School Education Minister Varsha Gaikwad and made several suggestions about pre-primary education, nutrition, minority scholarships and vocational training for the upcoming state budget 2021-22.
Following are some of the suggestions:
- Making pre-primary education free in the state: This will address the problem of inequity existing in society and allow for the holistic development of a child in early childhood.
- Integrating Anganwadis to Primary school: There is a vast network of Anganwadis across the state including rural and urban areas but they are not effectively regulated and hence falter on various parameters. Bringing them under the ambit of primary education will ensure quality ECCE.
- Developing at least four schools as model schools in every Taluka: This was suggested by Finance Minister Mr Ajit Pawar in his previous budget speech but no significant progress has been made on that front.
- Increasing overall budget for government schools
- The disruptions caused to educational sector by recent Pandemic has highlighted the need for strengthening digital infrastructure in the schools. Additional budget to be sanctioned for digital education and setting up of digital infrastructure in schools.
- Providing nutritional support for children in Nagar Palika schools: Previous budget only provided for Zila Parishad schools.
- Making transportation free for students of rural areas. This will facilitate their movement and increase access to education.
- Keeping a check on increasing tendencies of privatization of education so as to ensure accessibility of education for the poorer section of society.
- Speedy implementation of Chief Minister’s Employment Generation Scheme which aims to create one lakh industrial units and generate employment.
- Strengthening Vocational training Institutes and linking them to industries.
- Increasing budget on minority scholarships and timely disposal of the same.
- Increasing the budget of Maulana Azad loan scholarship.