Misuse of power by police and administration has once again raised several questions on these agencies. Are they acting as a potential tool for political agendas rather than maintaining law and order? Are they empowering some miscreants and fascist elements to behave volatile and lynch innocent by mob?
The five Dalit students that got suspended from HCU to recent so-called sedition-row in JNU, there is a clear mishandling of power by police & administration. Media too started publicizing fake videos; profiling students as anti-national and link them with other terrorist organizations which is completely an act of uncivilized nature.
We witness the anger and tension among students across the universities & campuses. They are protesting. Be it curtailing of non-net fellowship, institutional murder of Rohit Vemula, appointment of Gajendra as FTII Chairman, intervention in syllabus or administration and the current action on JNU students – all seems to be part of a political agenda to occupy the space of universities for a particular students. Is it a ploy to divert attention of common people from government failure to deliver on poll promises?
SIO of India believe that universities are the very space of critical thinking and expression where there must be a space to differ ideas and to express oneself with dignity and pride; where matters of contentions may peacefully arise in the conduct of intellectual and social engagement.
Today, mob lynching and violence create fear in common man, weather it is killing of Akhlaq in Dadari, killing of Dalits & Adivasis, manhandling of journalists in Patiala Court or thrashing of Kanahiya by lawyers in the court premises. This is highly condemnable and must be controlled immediately.
- SIO of India demands an impartial enquiry in Rohit Vemula suicide case on the basis of fast track judicial process.
- SIO of India demands immediate release of JNUSU president Kanhiya Kumar and withdrawal of sedition charges against him and other JNU students as well.
- SIO of India demands criminal proceedings against those who attack journalists and others at Patiala House Court premises.
- SIO of India demands protection of our University campuses from political violence.
- SIO of India demands immediate stopping of the harassment of university students by police, administration & intelligence on speculations.
- SIO of India demands that government must take measures to instill confidence in the rule of law & not engage in vendetta for narrow political gains.
- SIO of India demands to stop witch-hunt of common students in various campuses, which is causing great state fear atmosphere among students.
- SIO of India urges the news channels and administration to behave responsibly and not engage in spreading misinformation that vitiates the atmosphere.