Pune: 22 October 2012: Central Govt. had fixed a target of 48,157 Post Matric Scholarships for meritorious XI to PG students belonging to economically weaker sections of minority communities (Budhist, Christian, Muslim, Sikh and Parsi) for the year 2011-12 so as to provide them better opportunities for higher education increase their rate of attainment in higher education and enhance their employability.
However, in the sixth year of its implementation, though not population proportionate but short funds and physical targets are earmarked, the gross negligence, inefficiency, lack of co-ordination among different education directorates in State and irresponsibility’s, non-cooperation by Junior/Degree/PG College Principals have floundered this good scheme on the ground.
After due verification and scrutiny of the applications received from the students by the Directorate of Higher Education Maharashtra,the Data of the students as well as proposal was sent to the Ministry of Minority Affairs, GOI. Later, the Central Government cleared Rs 31cror 6 lakhe for the scheme in the state. Ideally and legally, the respective amounts should have been transferred to the students by the month of April 2012 but due to the lethargic attitude of the Congress-NCP government and the callous attitude of the authorities towards minorities, the total amount is still lying in the Bank of Maharashtra.
1. Students Islamic Organization of India,Maharastra demands that the Government should release the pending amount to the Students/colleges immediately.
2. Ministry of minority affairs declared earlier that the last date for renewal of application will be 31st December, 2012, now the suddenly the officials declared that the last for renewal will be 31st October, 2012. These types of announcements by the officials are creating a lot of trouble for the student community. S.I.O. demands strongly to extend the last date of submission of Forms instead of 31st October to 31st December 2012.
3. Due wide publicity in local Urdu/Marathi News papers is essential regarding extension of last date.
4. Maximum annual income limit should be enhanced from 2 lakh to 4.5 lakh as it is implemented for Maulana Azad National Fellowships for minorities.
5. All eligible minority students should be awarded by scholarships with 100% Fee reimbursement as practiced for backward communities.
If needed, S.I.O. will approach the Court of Justice for this cause and irresponsible and negligent authorities/Principals will be treated with law of land for there is no other way.